Everybody loves the smell of sweet treats baking in their home, and everyone loves the first bite of a delicious treat even more. Most people, however, do not love the hassle that can come with baking. The prepping, cooking, and cleaning can sometimes require more time than you have. But what happens on days when you want a homemade sweet treat without all the legwork that goes into prepping a full dessert in your oven? That’s when a microwave oven comes in handy! Microwave recipes can take less time than traditional baking recipes, and still come out delicious. Today, we will go through a few fan favorites that are the perfect cure for a sweet tooth in a pinch!
If you love these microwave-friendly dessert recipes or have one you’re looking to share, we would love to see your creations! Snap a picture or video and share it with us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and TikTok by tagging us and using #SharpHome!
One of the best desserts my mom makes is her famous chocolate chip brownies, and I always ask for them when I come home. However, making her recipe by myself takes time and, let’s face it, never comes out as good as hers. To replace her famous sweet treat in my own home, but on a much simpler level, I discovered this delicious recipe from Taste of Home! Warning: they are delicious!
- Beat 1 cup of sugar, 2 eggs, 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract, and ½ a teaspoon of salt.
- Once that is mixed, add in ½ cup of butter and mix until completely blended.
- Then mix ¾ cup of flour and ½ cup of cocoa. Slowly add the flour and cocoa mixture to the sugar mixture.
- Pour the mixture into a microwave-safe square dish.
- Microwave uncovered for 3-4 minutes, and take out once the center is moist.
- Place the brownies on a cooling rack and once they are cooled, cut into squares, and serve.
Although I still ask my mom to make her brownies, I am glad I can make a simpler version of them on my own and still enjoy both tasty recipes. What is your secret to the perfect brownie?
Banana Bread in the Microwave
Are you ever in the mood for a sweet treat for breakfast, but don’t have the time before work to whip up a delicious treat? Now, you can make banana bread in less than 2 minutes and eat that as you walk out the door to start your day. I love this recipe from Skinny Taste. I like to add my own spin each time by including different add-ins like chocolate chips, pecans, or walnuts.
- In a small microwave-safe mug, mix 1 teaspoon of sugar, 2 tablespoons of flour, and 1/4 teaspoon of baking powder.
- Mash half of a very ripe banana in a small bowl. Once the banana is mashed, add in 1 tsp of oil and 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla extract.
- Add the banana mash to the mug, and any add-ins desired.
- Microwave the mixture for 90 seconds, then place it on a cooling rack before eating.
I absolutely love this banana bread recipe and find myself making it at least twice a week before I head to work. Sometimes I even come home and crave more, and I can easily make another batch in just 2 minutes! I’m not sure what I love more: how simple it is to make or how delicious it tastes.
Microwave Blueberry Muffins
If banana bread isn’t your favorite treat, a muffin is just as simple to make in the microwave! Microwaving muffins is simple and can make each muffin soft and airy. Customizing the treat with some of your favorite things like blueberries or chocolate chips is also a great touch! All Recipes has a delicious recipe for a blueberry muffin, and it can be ready in 2 minutes!
- 4 tablespoons of flour
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla sugar
- 1 pinch baking powder
- 3 tablespoons milk
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- 10 blueberries
- 1 teaspoon confectioners’ sugar
- In a large microwave-safe mug, mix sugar, vanilla sugar, flour, and baking powder.
- Add milk and oil to the dry mixture, then whisk the two together.
- Add in blueberries so they are completely immersed in the batter.
- Microwave on high for 30 seconds to 2 minutes, until the muffin has risen.
- Keep the muffin in the mug, but let it cool for a few minutes before eating.
- Sprinkle confectioners’ sugar on top and eat up!
These muffins always come out delicious, especially during the blueberry season! The juicy blueberries add an extra level of enjoyment, and I could see myself eating one of these muffins every day!
Lemon Mug Cake Recipe
Although there are so many other baked goods you can make in the microwave, I’m wrapping this up with the perfect summer treat: a lemon mug cake. I absolutely love lemon desserts and this cake is nothing short of delicious. And what makes it even better is my go-to recipe from Kirbie Cravings only takes 1 minute to bake!
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 2 ½ tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- In a microwave-safe mug, combine sugar, baking powder, flour, milk, oil, and lemon juice. Make sure the batter is completely smooth before moving forward.
- Using a lemon, grate lemon zest on top of the batter and fold it in.
- Cook the lemon cake mixture in the microwave for 1 minute. Before taking the cake out, touch the top. If it is dry, take it out! Cool for a few minutes before eating.
Using the microwave to bake these treats can cut down on both preparation and cooking time, making recipes and life a bit simpler. We hope you enjoy it!