Looking to update your current kitchen setup? Deciding whether to do a cosmetic renovation or a complete remodel of your kitchen can be a tough decision but it can also be an exciting opportunity to create a space that reflects your personal style and meets your functional needs. From selecting a color scheme for your kitchen design to fit your aesthetic and choosing the perfect appliances to elevate your culinary experience, there are many decisions to make throughout the journey.
One of the first decisions you’ll need to make is whether to opt for a cosmetic renovation or a complete remodel. Stay tuned as we discuss the factors to consider when making this decision.
Before you jump into the makeover process, we would love to see your kitchen designs! Snap a picture or video of the before and after with your Sharp appliances and share it with us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and TikTok by tagging us and using #SharpHome!
A cosmetic renovation is a budget-friendly option that focuses on updating the look of your kitchen without making any major structural changes. Here are some common updates that fall under the category of a cosmetic renovation:
- Painting or refinishing cabinets
- Replacing cabinet hardware
- Installing new countertops
- Upgrading appliances
- Adding a backsplash
- Installing new lighting fixtures
A cosmetic renovation can give your kitchen a fresh, updated look without breaking the bank. However, it’s important to note that a cosmetic renovation won’t address any underlying functional issues with your kitchen. For example, if your layout doesn’t work for your needs, a cosmetic renovation won’t fix that.
A complete remodel involves tearing out and replacing everything in your kitchen, including the cabinets, appliances, flooring, and possibly even the walls. A complete remodel is a bigger investment, but it can be worth it if your current kitchen doesn’t meet your needs in terms of functionality or style.
Here are some signs that a complete remodel might be the right choice for you:
- Your layout doesn’t work for your needs
- Your cabinets are outdated or in poor condition
- Your appliances are old and not energy-efficient
- Your flooring is worn or outdated
- You want to change the style of your kitchen entirely
A complete remodel can be a great opportunity to create the kitchen of your dreams, but it’s important to be realistic about your budget and timeline. A complete remodel can be a lengthy process and can require a significant investment.
Factors to Consider
When deciding between a cosmetic renovation and a complete remodel, consider the following:
- Budget: How much are you willing to spend on your kitchen renovation? A cosmetic renovation will be more budget-friendly than a complete remodel.
- Timeline: How quickly do you need your kitchen renovation completed? A cosmetic renovation can typically be completed more quickly than a complete remodel.
- Functionality: Does your current kitchen meet your functional needs? If not, a complete remodel might be necessary to address those issues.
- Style: Are you happy with the current style of your kitchen, or do you want to completely change it? A complete remodel will give you more flexibility to create a new style.
- Resale Value: If you’re planning to sell your home in the near future, consider how your renovation will affect the resale value of your home. A complete remodel may offer a better return on investment than a cosmetic renovation.
Kitchen Remodel vs. Renovation?
Whether you’re looking to freshen up your space with a simple remodel or looking to start over with a complete renovation, you should have appliances that work for your culinary needs. If you love your microwave drawer oven and are looking for something to replace your microwave over the range, add a range hood to your kitchen design! Designed with a stainless-steel finish to complement any kitchen and discreet branding, Sharp Range Hoods pair beautifully with other stainless-steel appliances. Browse the full range of Sharp Range Hoods to find the right ventilation system for your kitchen.
Deciding between a cosmetic renovation and a complete remodel depends on your budget, timeline, functionality needs, style preferences, and resale goals. Consider all of these factors before making a decision and consult with a professional if you need help determining the best course of action for your specific situation.