Back-to-school season is in full swing, and it can certainly feel like a circus at all times of the day! At the beginning of the day, we are all running around trying to get out of the house. When the kids come home, they’re hungry and are getting tired of eating the same old snacks from the pantry, but you don’t want to prepare something extravagant before dinner. Sound familiar?
I know it’s overwhelming, so I’m here to help you with some after-school snacks that you can make in a microwave oven.
I have been searching the internet far and wide to find the perfect microwavable recipes for you and the kids to treat yourself to make any day just a little sweeter. These will hold you and the kids over until dinnertime and together we will master those hectic school days (one day at a time)! If you try any of these after-school snacks or have any of your own, feel free to share them with us on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter using the hashtag#SharpHome!
Every Friday night, my family would have pizza. Some nights we would make it, and other nights when we were feeling a little tired, we would order out. Now that I’m an adult, I can look back on those nights and reflect on how precious those moments were. I can also see how much of a hassle it can be to prepare all the pizza. There were always two big debates when it came to pizza night: what time should we start dinner and what toppings should we put on the pizza? It was hard to find the time that worked due to extracurricular activities and busy schedules, and I craved pizza the moment I came home from school.
I wish I had Feels Like Home Blog‘s recipe for pizza you can make in a mug back then! It would have cured my pizza cravings and held me over until it was time for the main course. The best part? Since it is a single-serve, there’s no arguing about what toppings should be included. You can put your favorite toppings and experiment with new ones if you’re feeling bold (some that will always have a ‘pizza’ in my heart are pepperoni, broccoli, and sausage)!
- 1 slice bread
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 3 tablespoons of pizza sauce
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Pizza toppings of your choice (optional)
- Pull apart the bread to create bite-sized pieces and place them into a microwave-safe mug.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg. Once the egg has been whisked, pour it over the bread and mix.
- Add the pizza sauce, Italian seasoning, cheese, and toppings. I love using bite-size pepperoni for this!
- Microwave the dish for 2-3 minutes or until the egg has been set. Once the time is up, you can take the mug out of the microwave oven and enjoy it!
Mug-Made Mac ‘n Cheese
After being around kids for so long, I know how picky some can be. While I love to be adventurous with my food choices, some kids aren’t as bold and open to trying new things. After years of observation, I’ve come to learn that the one thing no kid can resist is a bowl of macaroni and cheese. Hey, I’m an adult and I still can’t resist it! I guess some things never change, except I’m the one cooking it and cleaning up the mess now.
I’ve looked for alternatives for an easy-clean and desirable dish and found one that works perfectly for me, and I’m ready to share it with you. No stove-top mess to worry about when using The View From Great Island‘s yummy recipe. Put that box of macaroni and cheese from the store back on the shelf because we are going to make it today ourselves in the microwave oven.
- 1/3 cup elbow noodles, uncooked
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup milk
- ½ cup pre-packaged shredded cheese
- Place the water and noodles into a mug. Microwave for 2 minutes. Stir.
- Microwave for another minute. Stir.
- Microwave for another minute. Check the water level in the cup. Microwave until all the water has been absorbed.
- Stir in milk and shredded cheese. Microwave for 30-60 seconds. Stir to coat all the noodles with cheese and enjoy!
Chocolate Chip Cookie
Being a smart cookie doesn’t have to stop in the classroom. What’s a better way to reward your smart cookie than with a cookie? Cookies are the perfect after-school reward and don’t worry, you don’t have to bake a whole patch of them in the oven and clean up the mess. In my opinion, there’s no better way to treat yourself and your kids at the end of the school day than with this tasty treat. Did they do well on a math exam and want to celebrate? Or did they have a tough day and just want to decompress? Maybe it was just an average day for them, and they are looking for a quick pick-me-up? No matter what kind of day, a homemade chocolate chip cookie will always be the right choice.
I love this chocolate chip recipe from Create Yum because it is easy to make and so tasty. You can make this amazing chocolate chip cookie in your Sharp Microwave Oven! No need to preheat the oven, just head on over to your microwave oven and let’s get to baking!
Before we are ready to indulge, we have to grab the following:
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons chocolate chips
Let’s get started!
- In a bowl, combine flour, sugar, and baking powder.
- Whisk in milk, butter, and vanilla extract until the mixture is smooth.
- Add the chocolate chips into the bowl and fold them in.
- In a microwave-safe mug, pour the batter. Be sure to leave enough room at the top to keep the cookie from overflowing!
- Microwave the mug for 1-2 minutes. (If you are using the Sharp Smart Carousel Countertop Microwave Oven, feel free to just ask Amazon Alexa by saying, “Alexa, add one minute to the microwave”.)
- Once your cookie is done cooking, remove it from the microwave and enjoy!
We’re on a roll with these delicious afterschool snacks, so let’s take a look at our next tasty treat: a cinnamon roll! When I stumbled upon this Cinnamon Roll Mug Cake from Kitchen Fun with My Three Sons, my mouth instantly started to water, and I just knew I had to share it with you. Cinnamon rolls are a great way to start or end your day.
Before we get started, let’s gather the following:
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup milk
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon milk
Now, to the fun stuff!
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl. Slowly add the milk and mix until there is a soft dough consistency.
- Lightly flour a clean, flat surface. Place the dough on the surface and begin kneading it until it becomes smooth. Create 3-inch-wide and 12-16-inch-long strips by rolling the dough out.
- Coat the inside of a microwave-safe mug generously with the melted butter. With the remaining butter, brush it onto the strips of dough.
- Sprinkle granulated sugar and cinnamon onto the strips. Starting at one end of the strip, roll the dough to create the swirl effect.
- Place the rolled-up dough into the mug and microwave for 60 seconds, or until the dough has cooked through.
Spinach Dip for One
Whenever I go out to eat, my go-to appetizer is always spinach dip. It’s the perfect balance of tangy and fresh. The creaminess of the dip and the crunch of the dipper is like starting off a baseball game with a home run! Luckily, you can enjoy this restaurant-style snack within the own comfort of your home with this quick and tasty recipe from Yammie’s Noshery. With just 3 steps, you’ll be ready to dive into this treat in no time. So, without further ado let’s get started.
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup chopped spinach
- 3 tablespoons cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
- ¾ grated mozzarella cheese
Making this delicious dip is as easy as 1, 2, 3!
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine all the ingredients.
- Microwave the dish for 5 minutes or until you notice the mixture starts to bubble.
- Now, for the best part: remove, season to your liking, and enjoy! This pairs perfectly with tortilla chips, but my favorite thing to dip is celery.
With all the time you save with these quick after-school snacks, you’ll have plenty of time to snap a quick picture and share it with us using #SharpHome.