One of my favorite ways to enjoy a summer day is with light and bright meals. While I can always go for a salad, the summer sun makes me crave them a little more than usual.
I have grown to love salads as I’ve gotten older. Not only are they a mindful dish, they leave me feeling refreshed. Because there are no exact measurements I have to follow, I love how creative and flexible I can be with a salad. For example, if a recipe calls for a particular ingredient I’m not too fond of, I don’t have to include it and can substitute it with something else.
This summer, I have been trying new recipes from creators across the web and am so excited to share a few of my favorites with you. If you try any of these recipes or have one of your own, snap a pic and share it with us using #SharpHome on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter.
When I think of summer fruit, the first thing that comes to mind is watermelon. From poolside snack to a barbeque delicacy, watermelon is without a doubt a summer staple. This Watermelon Balsamic Chicken Salad from Sharp Chef Michelle Miller screams summer. The sweet watermelon pairs wonderfully with the chicken coated with a sticky-sweet balsamic glaze (it is like a party of flavors on your tongue). The chicken is prepared on the Sharp Induction Cooktop and is ready in 20 minutes.
To prepare this recipe you will need the following ingredients:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb chicken breasts skinless
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 6 cups romaine lettuce chopped
- 6 cups watermelon cubed
- 1/2 cup fresh mint finely chopped
- 1/4 cup walnuts chopped
- marinated red onions
Marinated Red Onions
- 1 red onion large, very sliced thinly
- 6 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp oregano dried
Prepare the salad by following these steps:
- Add thinly sliced red onions, olive oil, vinegar, salt, and oregano to a large bowl. Toss to evenly coat onions.
- Allow onions to sit for at least a couple of hours, but overnight for best results. There is no need to refrigerate the onions. As long as the onions are fully submersed, they will stay good on the counter for up to 5 days.
- Into a skillet on your Sharp Induction Cooktop, add avocado oil, and heat over medium-high heat. Brown the chicken, and generously season with salt and pepper.
- Flip the chicken to brown the second side, and add balsamic chicken. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer the chicken for about 15 minutes, flipping it to ensure even cooking, until the chicken is cooked throughout and the balsamic vinegar is thick and sticky. If necessary, add 1-2 tablespoons of water to prevent the vinegar from burning if it reduces too much.
- Onto plates, add chopped romaine lettuce.
- Add cubed (seeded) watermelon to each salad.
- Top the salads with sliced balsamic chicken.
- Garnish the salads with chopped walnuts and mint, and a generous helping of marinated red onions.
With a fridge full of fruit, I like to incorporate fruit into my dishes so when I came across this Blueberry Peach Feta Salad from Recipe Runner I knew I had to share it with you all. This salad is a perfect compliment to your grilled items or it is great on its own! The contrast of sweet and salty flavors is like a treat on summer days. Before you make this recipe, make sure you have all these ingredients handy:
- 1-pint blueberries
- 2 peaches, diced
- 2 Persian cucumbers, sliced
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, finely chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine blueberries, peaches, cucumbers, and feta together in a large serving bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, dijon mustard, honey, olive oil, basil, salt, and pepper.
- Pour the vinaigrette mixture over the salad base.
- Enjoy immediately or cover and place in the refrigerator.
From Strawberry Rhubarb Shortcakes and Fresh Strawberry Pie, it’s no secret that I’m a sucker for recipes with strawberries. This Strawberry Avocado Spinach Salad from Gimme Some Oven is one of my newest obsessions. It combines a few of my favorite ingredients (like strawberries and avocados) for a salad jammed pack with flavors. I love adding fruit that I have on hand to this salad, too (did someone say blueberries?! Yes, please!!). With a few ingredients and even fewer steps, this salad is a refreshing addition to warm days.
- 6 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1 pint strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and diced
- 4 ounces crumbled blue cheese (or goat cheese or feta)
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- half a small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup avocado oil (or olive oil)
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a small bowl, whisk together the ingredients for the poppyseed dressing.
- In a large bowl, combine the salad ingredients and drizzle with the dressing. Gently toss the salad to coat the salad.
- Immediately serve the salad!
These salads are quick, easy, and delicious – they truly are the perfect simple salads for summer. Which salad is your favorite? Let us know on social by using #SharpHome.