A mindful apple pie recipe made on a gluten free almond flour crust. This lightly sweetened apple filling allows the sweetness and flavor of the fruit to shine through!
- 1 Almond Flour Pie Crust
- 2 pounds apples tart baking apples, like honeycrisp
- 3 tablespoons moscavado sugar or honey for paleo
- 3 tablespoons arrowroot powder
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 cup oats
- 1/3 cup walnuts
- 2 tablespoons butter chilled, cut in chunks
- 2 tablespoons moscavado
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- To use the almond flour pie crust for an apple pie, the crust needs to be parbaked on 350 degrees F for 10 minutes.
- Prepare the apples by peeling and very thinly slicing the apples. Put apples in a bowl of water with some lemon juice to prevent browning during this process.
- Drain the apples. and then mix in the arrowroot, moscavado, cinnamon and additional tablespoon of lemon juice. Stir well to coat apples.
- To make the crumble topping, add all ingredients to a blender or food processor, and pulse until the mixture comes together in large crumbs. You want to retain some of the texture of the oats and walnuts, so don’t over process.
- Fill the parbaked crust with the apples (heap the apples above your crust – they bake down a lot!), and the top with the crumble topping.
- Use a silicone pie shield to cover the crust and prevent over browning.
- Bake the pie in the Sharp Superheated Steam Countertop Oven for 50 minutes on 350 degrees.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
Chilling Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour 35 minutes
Servings: 8 slices