Don’t get it twisted, we have a soft spot for a salty treat (especially if it is a soft pretzel). We’re knot kidding! These super soft, bakery-style pretzels are so easy to make and a great weekend baking project for kids. Make this tasty recipe in a Sharp Superheated Steam Oven and serve these pretzels warm with a jalapeno cheddar dip, or simply with spicy mustard.
- 1 1/2 cups warm water lukewarm
- 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast 1 packet
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon butter melted
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 1/2-4 cups all-purpose flour
- coarse sea salt for topping
Baking Soda Bath
- 1/2 cup baking soda
- 10 cups water
Jalapeno Cheddar Sauce
- 3-4 cups sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup lager beer
- 1 jalapeno finely minced
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- Into a stand mixer bowl, add warm water and yeast, and allow to sit for 1 minute to become frothy.
- Next, add honey, melted butter, and salt. Mix until combined.
- With the stand mixer running on a low setting, add flour 1 cup at a time. After adding 3 1/2 cups, add the last 1/2 cup slowly until the desired consistency of the dough is formed. The dough shouldn’t be sticky but needs to be soft enough to form smooth ropes to form into a pretzel shape.
- Allow the stand mixer to continue running and kneading the dough for 3 minutes. The dough shouldn’t stick to the mixer bowl during this process. If it does, add additional flour 1 tablespoon at a time until it forms a smooth ball. Allow the dough to rest while preparing the baking soda bath.
- For the baking soda bath, add the water and baking soda to a large pot, and bring to a low boil on your Sharp Cooktop.
- Line 2 baking trays with parchment paper.
- Set the Sharp Superheated Steam Wall Oven to the Steam Bake mode for Bread, and preheat the oven at 425º F, setting the time for 14 minutes.
Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and cut the dough into 12 equal pieces. Use hands to roll the dough into about a 20-inch long shape, and then fold it into a pretzel shape. If necessary, wet fingers to help the dough stick together where the dough crosses.
- Add each pretzel to the boiling baking soda bath, and allow to cook for about 30 seconds, and then remove with a large slotted spoon, placing the pretzels on the prepared baking trays.
- Sprinkle the still-wet pretzels with coarse sea salt.
- Bake the pretzels and serve while still warm. The pretzels freeze well and can be reheated to taste fresh by adding them back to the oven on the same settings for 5 minutes.
- Add shredded cheddar and flour to a bowl, and mix to evenly coat the cheese.
- In a small saucepan on your Sharp Cooktop, add beer, and warm over medium-low heat.
- Add half of the cheese mixture, and use a fork to stir the cheese as it melts. Once the cheese has begun to melt, add more cheese in, about 1/2 cup at a time, and continue to whip the cheese into the beer. Add cheese until desired thickness is reached.
- Serve cheese hot with pretzels to dip.
These delicious pretzels are a great pick-me-up any day of the week!