This simple yet delicious pasta dish is a family favorite. It’s simple to make and bakes with a golden brown cheesy crust in the Sharp Smart Combi Built-In Steam Oven. This is a great make-ahead dish you can bake right before dinner, making it perfect for serving a crowd.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 24 ounces marinara sauce
- 16 ounces anelletti pasta, cooked to package directions
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese grated
- fresh parsley chopped, to garnish
- In a skillet, add olive oil, onions, and garlic, and saute over medium heat on your Sharp Cooktop for about 7 minutes, until the vegetables are fragrant.
- Add the sausage, and use a spatula to break up the sausage as it begins to brown—Cook the sausage with the onions and garlic for about 10 minutes.
- Add the zucchini, and allow it to soften for 3-4 minutes.
- To the sausage and vegetable mixture, add the marinara sauce and cooked pasta. Mix to combine.
- Set the Sharp Smart Combi Built-In Steam Oven to Convection/Bake at 350º.
- Add the pasta to a 9×9 baking dish, and then top with half of the mozzarella cheese. Use a form to press the cheese into the pasta, mixing it slightly. Then, add the rest of the mozzarella cheese and the parmesan cheese.
- Cover the baking dish with foil, and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove the foil, and add 15 minutes of additional baking time. Bake the pasta until the cheese is beginning to brown.
The pasta will continue to cook as it bakes with the pasta sauce, so cook the pasta slightly more al dente than you would typically enjoy it.
If the marinara sauce you use isn’t flavorful, consider seasoning the sauce with oregano, basil, salt, and pepper, prior to mixing the pasta in.
Make this Vegetarian: This dish is easily made vegetarian by swapping the sausage for eggplant. Cut eggplant into 1-inch cubes, and saute them with the onions and garlic for 12-15 minutes until softened, and then add the zucchini and soften.