Who doesn’t love gathering around the table to enjoy a spread of delicious tapas? It’s a fun occasion to get out of the house and enjoy various foods and flavors, but the restaurant bills can definitely add up. Now that we’re staying at home more often, we have the perfect excuse to bring the tapas home and prepare a spread for yourself.
Many popular small plates seem complicated, and that’s because they are. We’ll leave the seared octopus and lamb chop recipes up to the chefs, but we can teach you an equally flavorful and classic dish to pique your appetite: patatas bravas.
While these potatoes are typically fried in olive oil, we want to make this recipe cook as quick and easy as possible so you can focus on the more complex tapas on your dinner menu. With that in mind, we’ll be using the Sharp Superheated Steam Countertop Oven to get that same satisfying crunch on the outside of each potato bite, with a light and fluffy interior.
The key to successful patatas bravas is in the sauces and their surprising simplicity (if you want to stay authentic), so let’s go over the ingredients:
- 2 large Yukon Gold potatoes, sliced into bite-sized 1” cubes
- Pinch of salt (to taste)
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Fresh parsley, chopped (garnish)
The Brava Sauce:
- 3 Tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 small can of tomato paste
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ white onion
- Pinch of salt (to taste)
Garlic Aioli (Optional)
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 clove garlic, minced or garlic powder
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Pinch of sale (to taste)
Now that we’ve established the ingredients you need for your patatas bravas let’s go over the cooking process. We guarantee there are fewer steps than there are ingredients!
- To get the perfect texture on your potatoes, we recommend cubing them and softening them in a pot of boiling water. When a fork can easily penetrate the potatoes, take the pot off the stove, drain the potatoes, and pat them dry.
- Once potatoes are dried, drizzle the olive oil over them, season with salt, and toss before scattering on a sheet pan.
- Place the sheet pan in your Sharp Superheated Steam Countertop Oven, set the temperature to 450 degrees, and roast the potatoes for approximately 20 minutes or until they appear golden brown.
- As the potatoes roast, mix all the ingredients of your brava sauce and pulse in a food processor until it is a relatively smooth paste and set aside.
- In a small dipping bowl, mix mayonnaise, minced garlic, and lemon juice and stir until evenly mixed.
- Once potatoes are cooked, plate them in a small cast iron pot or a wide bowl, drizzle your bravas sauce on top with your parsley garnish, and enjoy!