We’re all spending more time in the kitchen these days, so why not get your kids involved to show them eating mindfully can be fun and straightforward! Showing them recipes at a young age will set them up for success and give them independence in the kitchen. We are sharing a breakfast, dinner, and snack recipe that requires minimal ingredients and no fuss. These will keep your children engaged and excited about what the result will be!
Breakfast: Green Smoothie
Making sure your children get in all of their fruits and veggies in a day can be tough, especially with picky eaters! Packing everything into a smoothie is a great option that will make you feel good about what you’re giving your family. Get your kids involved by having them help you add all of the ingredients into the blender – they’ll love watching it transform into a delicious green drink with just the press of a button!
- 1 frozen banana
- 2 tablespoons of chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons of almond butter
- 2 large handfuls of spinach
- 1-2 cups of almond milk or water
- Place all ingredients into a high-speed blender.
- Blend on high, adding more almond milk or water as needed.
- Store in the fridge or serve immediately.
Snack: Ants on a Log
This classic snack is packed with protein and is fun for the whole family to eat! One of our favorite things to do is to mix chia or flax seeds to your nut butter before spreading it on your “logs” to add in healthy fats without your kids even noticing. Have them help out by spreading on their favorite nut butter or adding the “ants” on top of the celery!
- 3 stalks of celery
- 4-6 tablespoons of nut butter
- 2 tablespoons of flax or chia seeds
- Handful of raisins
- Rinse and cut your celery into bite-sized “logs.”
- Mix your nut butter with your chia or flax seeds. Let it sit for 2-5 minutes before spreading onto the celery.
- Top with raisins and enjoy!
Dinner: One-Pot Pasta with Broccoli and Lemon
What’s easy, fast, and delicious? Pasta! This One-Pot Pasta with Broccoli and Lemon recipe from Martha Stewart is one of our favorites. All you really need are five ingredients to transform plain pasta into something delicious and nutritious! Get your kids involved by letting them add the broccoli into the pot or mixing all the ingredients at the end!
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound of your favorite pasta
- 1 pound broccoli, head cut into florets (3 1/2 cups), stems peeled and thinly sliced (1 cup)
- 1 clove garlic, finely grated
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest, plus 3 tablespoons fresh juice (from 1 lemon)
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan (1 ounce), plus more for serving
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add penne and cook 5 minutes. Add broccoli and cook until pasta is just under al dente and broccoli is crisp-tender and bright green, 3 to 4 minutes more. Drain, then add pasta and broccoli back to the pot.
- Toss with garlic, oil, lemon zest and juice, and cheese. Serve, topped with more cheese.